Contouring is the art of enhancing or shaping your face and its features with makeup. Contouring and highlighting your face can seem daunting, but trust us, it’s not rocket science. Following a few basic steps with quality products can give you that amazing, chiselled look effortlessly. But let’s begin with a fun fact, did you know the practice of contouring originated from the drag community decades ago?
Gumtree offers the following tips to contour the different face shapes:
- Oval face: Use the basic 3 contouring outline technique here. Apply your contour colour in the shape of a three, beginning at the temples to the bottom of your cheekbones and finally ending at the outer section of your upper jaw.
- Square face: This face shape looks more chiselled if you give it an oval appearance by applying contour to the corners of the face, which include the outer corners of the jaw and forehead. This can be followed by enhancing the cheekbones by applying a subtler contour shade.
- Round face: This face shape can be defined by sticking to the 3-shape contour technique. Apply the contour shade at the outer edges of the forehead, under the cheekbones and around the jawline. Do not contour the chin as it needs to appear sharper and more elongated.
- Heart-shaped face: Contour the outer edges of the temples and the lower part of the cheekbones to make your face look more oval. Finally, add some contour shade to the chin to make it look less pointed.
- Long face: To make a long face look more proportionate, add the contour shade to the top and bottom of the face i.e., the forehead and chin.
Now that you’ve got the knowledge, it’s time to shop! Head to gumtree.co.za or your Gumtree app (click for Apple & Android) and don’t forget to use your location settings to find local fashion information close to home.