Not surprisingly, living through a global pandemic for over a year now has turned many people around the world, including South Africans, to streaming services. While cable TV is obviously still a ‘thing’, streaming seems to be the future of viewing, allowing viewers to find just about anything and everything to watch. The perfect way to never get bored, if you ask us!
Here are a few things to know about streaming in South Africa.
- Netflix and Showmax are South Africa’s biggest streaming websites with between 400,000 and 600,000 subscribers each.
- Some of the top reasons South Africans have been able to, or wanted to switch to streaming services this past year are a reduction in data costs, the increase in 5G networks, free public WiFi zones, and of course the change in lifestyle (hello, COVID-19 lockdowns).
- If series are your jam, Netflix is definitely the way to go.
- Netflix is heavily saturated with International and American films and series.
- If South African content is what you are after, Showmax is the best option for you.
- If you are a DStv Premium subscriber, you automatically gain access to Showmax, so you may want to give that a go before deciding to subscribe to Netflix as well.
- The minimum requirements for streaming are:
- At least 3Mbps is recommended for streaming in SD (Standard Definition)
- At least 5 Mbps is recommended for streaming in HD (High Definition)
- At least 25 Mbps is recommended for streaming in HDR or 4K.