When the weather is cooperating, many South Africans enjoy jumping on their bikes and heading out to the mountains for some off-roading cycling. And, why wouldn’t they? Amazing views while getting a workout in? Count us in! In order to get the best out of mountain biking, you’ll want to ensure your bike’s shocks are in the best working order.
This essential element of your bike should be well maintained to ensure a smoother ride. Here is everything you need to know.
- Replace or repair your shocks when they are making unusual noises (like grinding, barking, or squeaking), not holding air, or are leaking oil.
- Some of the above issues will be solved with a simple repair, but others may require that you replace them completely. Consult a professional at your local bike shop for guidance.
- If you are looking for new shocks, here are a few things to consider:
- Unless you have a very entry-level bike, you will want to look for a shock absorber with a decent damping system.
- Air springs tend to be a favourite among the mountain biking community due to their light weight and their ability to adjust to different riders.
- Coil springs are heavier but tend to give a smoother ride, and are more cost effective.
- Don’t forget to ensure the shock absorber you are interested in is actually compatible with your exact model of mountain bike.
Now that you’ve got the knowledge, it’s time to shop! Head to gumtree.co.za or your Gumtree app (click for Apple & Android) and don’t forget to use your location settings to find all your mountain biking essentials.