According to reports, there are fewer people smoking now or beginning to smoke than ever before. While this is a heartening trend, it is also apparent that the popularity of e-cigarettes has skyrocketed. E-cigarettes are battery operated devices such as vape mods and vape pens. They consist of a liquid cartridge that is heated to produce a vapour that is then inhaled. But are e-cigarettes safer than regular cigarettes? Gumtree delves into the facts:
- The primary difference between e-cigarettes and regular cigarettes is that the former does not contain tobacco.
- According to scientists, there is not enough evidence on the long-term effects of e- cigarettes. However, one thing is for sure: it cannot be considered a safer alternative to regular cigarette smoking.
- Research conducted by John Hopkins Medicine suggests that while regular smoking includes inhaling around 7000 chemicals, vaping or using an e-cigarette may involve slightly less.
- E-cigarettes are high in nicotine, which can adversely affect brain development in children and teens.
- Regular cigarette smoking can cause lung cancer, heart disease and other serious conditions after decades of use. However, according to reports, inhaling an e-cigarette or vaping can cause lung damage or seizures in as less than a year.
- Apart from nicotine, e-cigarettes contain several harmful substances such as diacetyl, Volatile Organic Compounds (VOC) and heavy metals. This causes harm to those smoking and those around through second hand smoke.
- The liquid that creates the vapour in an e-cigarette is considered highly dangerous as breathing it in, swallowing or absorption by the skin has caused dangerous accidents.
Now that you’ve got the knowledge, it’s time to shop! Head to gumtree.co.za or your Gumtree app (click for Apple & Android) and don’t forget to use your location settings to find local electronic information close to home.