In today’s global scenario, organisations are looking to hire employees from diverse cultural and intellectual backgrounds. In a situation such as this, there will always be differing opinions and viewpoints that can lead to disagreements at times. Conflicts at the workplace must be handled sensitively to avoid greater issues or negative working relationships.
Gumtree analyses workplace conflicts and outlines the ways and means to reach a resolution.
- The first step to conflict resolution at the workplace is to understand what the disagreement is about. It requires getting to the root of the conflict and ensuring both parties are heard. It is important to obtain as much information as possible in an unbiased process. This can be through one-on-one conversations with both sides as well as others involved.
- Secondly, both parties must speak and agree on the desired outcome they want from the conflict. When they realise they are both working towards a common goal, they will participate wholeheartedly and be more receptive to the resolution process.
- Thirdly, an important question to ask and answer in this process is: how do we reach that common goal? This requires brainstorming, communicating and most importantly, listening to the opposite viewpoint. This includes understanding the other person’s WIIFM factor i.e., What’s In It For Me to understand their needs and motivations.
- Once a solution and way forward has been established, outline the responsibilities the two parties have in this resolution process. They must be held accountable for their actions in the future if they do not meet the requirements of the resolution.
- Finally, remember that there is an opportunity hidden in every conflict. It is a teaching moment that encourages employees to accept views different from theirs and be more accommodating.