Staying in res can be one of the most fun parts of University, but let’s face it, they’re pretty drab! While how a room looks isn’t the be all and end all, it is hard to feel motivated and inspired in such a gloomy room. Additionally, it can be difficult to relax during down time in a room that feels nothing like home.
So how do we turn your dorm room from drab to fab? Here are a few decorating tips!
- Get folding chairs for guests. Having people over is great, but having too many pieces of permanent furniture in such a small space can make things too cluttered. Folding furniture can be stored to the side or in the closet once your guests leave.
- Add a few throw pillows for a pop of colour.
- Lay down a small rug for added warmth and depth.
- Less is more. Dorm rooms are small, so choose a few statement pieces without cluttering up the space too much.
- Wallpaper is a great way to add some pizazz to a space, but it is a bit too finicky for a space you won’t be in for long. Instead, try some easy to remove vinyl decals or hang a few pieces of art.
- Create a focal point with a unique bedspread or curtains that will catch the eye.
- If a plain bedspread is more your vibe, dress up your bed with a cool vintage headboard and some throw pillows.
- Add some twinkly lights for some ambiance, and a cool desk lamp for some added light on late study nights.
- Exercise your green thumb by getting a few indoor plants. If you are worried about the added responsibility, opt for some succulents that need very little water and care to thrive.
- Use mirrors to create the illusion of a bigger space.
Now that you’ve got the knowledge, it’s time to shop! Head to gumtree.co.za or your Gumtree app (click for Apple & Android) and don’t forget to use your location settings to find everything you’ll need to revamp your dorm room close to home.