Job searching is daunting but without a professionally written resume, things become exponentially harder. You may be qualified for the job, but if your resume doesn’t reflect that accurately, it could cost you your dream job!
Let’s think of your resume as your first impression. What does it say about you? Before you send yours out, check to see if you have made any of these common mistakes that could land it in the bin.
- The resume is too long. A great rule of thumb is to include one page per ten years of experience. Anything more than this and you are demanding too much time from the recruiter or hiring manager that they do not have.
- The resume font is too small. Try not to alter the size of your font just to fit things into the correct number of pages. Make it easy to read by sticking to around size 12.
- The resume has too much creativity. Creativity is great, and you do want to include some personality, but be sure to stick things as close to the accepted resume flow as possible. Recruiters and hiring managers will not be happy to spend extra time trying to find key information in an overly designed resume.
- The resume is too repetitive. If you have multiple job experiences with similar titles or duties, try not to copy and paste job descriptions and rather pick and choose the unique elements to include.
- The resume has too many spelling mistakes. Spelling and grammar errors look unprofessional, so be sure to use spell check and have one or two trusted loved ones read over it.
Now that you’ve got the knowledge, it’s time to search for your dream job! Head to gumtree.co.za or your Gumtree app (click for Apple & Android) and don’t forget to use your location settings to find jobs close to home.