A wedding photograph is one of the most important elements of a wedding. Afterall, they are responsible for documenting the magical moments of your big day. These photographs will be your most treasured keepsakes, which you can reminisce over for years to come. But with hundreds of photographers around you and on social media, how do you know which one is the right fit for your wedding?
Gumtree gives you these tips to find your dream wedding photographer:
- Determine your desired photography style. Some of the most popular ones are contemporary, editorial, traditional or reportage styles.
- Wedding photography and photographers are expensive. It is important to set a realistic budget knowing that a good photographer will cost you more.
- Do your homework and comb through reviews, social media, blogs, and photography websites to find a list of your favourite wedding photographers.
- Request family and friends to recommend any wedding photographers they used in the past or were particularly impressed by.
- Once you have a list of potential photographers, request them for their top choices of weddings they have photographed recently.
- You can also ask them for whole albums of weddings they have shot to ensure you like the overall flow and style and not just the highlighted photographs.
- Set up in-person interviews with two or three photographs to look at more of their work and discuss details of your wedding.
- Find out if they have shot at your venue previously as this is a bonus. Additionally, your venue may also be able to suggest photographers who have shot there.
- Once you have zeroed down on a photographer, book an engagement or pre-wedding shoot to see if your personalities mesh together well.
- Our last and most important tip: always have a backup. We are sure you love the photographer you have chosen, but it is imperative to a Plan B in case of an emergency.
Now that you’ve got the knowledge, it’s time to shop! Head to gumtree.co.za or your Gumtree app (click for Apple & Android) and don’t forget to use your location settings to find wedding photographers close to home.