Choosing a designer to create a beautiful living space in your home is kind of like dating. In order to find the right one for you and your taste, you need to put in a little effort and ask the right questions. With our top 5 considerations and these 10 questions to ask, the process will be a breeze.
- If the interior designer is not willing to collaborate with you and allow you to be a part of the decision process, they are not the one for you.
- As a general rule, try to meet with three designers before making your decision; one is sure to stick out from the crowd.
- Come prepared to each meeting by having a good idea of what you are looking for.
- Always be honest about your budget up-front so that your expectations are not shattered and the designer’s plans will be appropriate. There is a large difference between R50,000 and R200,000.
- Keep in mind that the interview process is a two-way street. The designer is also looking to ensure they feel comfortable and that your styles align. Follow your gut; your instincts will tell you if you’re making the right decision.
Questions to ask:
- What is your style, and what styles do you dislike?
- How many projects do you take on at once?
- Who would I work with exactly? Yourself, or a colleague?
- How long do you think this project will take?
- Does our availability line up?
- What is your project management style?
- How much do you charge and what does your fee include?
- How do you keep track of my budget? Will I be able to see exactly where my money is going?
- Do you have any references?
- How do you resolve problems that occur during a project?