South Africa is known for its warm, sultry summer months but we know how chilly the winters can get too. People are looking for ways to keep themselves cosy during the winter months and the frontrunners seem to be fireplaces and heaters.
Gumtree gives you the rundown on how to choose the perfect fireplace or heater for your home.
- Wood burning fireplace: Made of brick or stone, this traditional fireplace comes in a variety of options with regards to the amount of heat it emits and how cost-effective it is to use.
- Fireplace inserts: These inserts can be fitted into an existing fireplace, transforming an inefficient hearth to one that is more fuel efficient.
- Enclosed fireplace: These fireplaces are equipped with a glass panel so you can see the fire as it burns. The design also ensures that less heat goes up the flute and more is emitted into the room.
- Electric fireplaces: The most cost-effective option to install, electric fireplaces come with a remote-controlled heater that can be easily switched on and off.
- Gas heaters: These are cost-effective options to heat rooms, especially when they are larger in size. However, they are more expensive to buy than their electric counterparts. You will also need a constant gas supply, which results in the production of carbon monoxide and other air pollutants. It must be ensured that gas heaters are fitted with pipes or a chimney.
- Electric heaters: These are cheaper to buy but more expensive to run as they utilise electricity to produce heat. If the room that needs heating is large, consider investing in an electric convection or panel heaters.
- Oil heaters: These heaters are economical as they do not utilise large amounts of electricity and produce heat gradually but consistently. It can be used through the night as the heat is sealed inside the panels, making it more safe than other heaters.
Now that you’ve got the knowledge, it’s time to shop! Head to gumtree.co.za or your Gumtree app (click for Apple & Android) and don’t forget to use your location settings to find a fireplace or heater close to home.