Earrings are one of the most important accessories women (and some men) use to enhance their outfit, appearance and even mood. But with thousands of styles, colours, and designs, how do you know which one to choose?
Gumtree gives you the best tips to choose earrings based on your hairstyle, outfit, and occasion:
Based on hairstyle
- Hair let down: Long hair that is let down can cover the earrings you wear. Choose striking studs with pearls or black onyx for everyday wear. As an alternative, wear long tasselled earrings in vibrant colours for a more striking look.
- Short hair or pixie cut: Fun, trendy styles such as ear climbers, earring jackets and cuffs with crystals and diamonds are perfect for shorter hair.
- High bun: Go classic with long, dangling earrings or hoops that accentuate your neck and shoulders.
Based on outfit
- Diamonds: Aptly called ‘a girl’s best friends’, diamonds can match any outfit, providing a bold yet classic look. Pair these with other precious metals or gemstones and you have a winner on your hands.
- Keeping it simple: You can never go wrong with combinations of black, white, and gold. For example, team a little black dress with gold earrings and a white one with gold or silver earrings.
- Contrasts: An interesting style choice would be to wear earrings in colours that completely contrast the colour of your outfit. Use a colour wheel and go in opposite directions!
Based on occasion
- Work: Follow this rule: less is more at the workplace. Subtle and smaller earrings in gold or silver can make your professional look more polished.
- Everyday casual: Hoops in fun shapes like triangles and squares can be the perfect style for an everyday look.
- Formal events: Chandeliers in gemstones or diamonds can complement your elegant dresses and gowns.
Now that you’ve got the knowledge, it’s time to shop! Head to gumtree.co.za or your Gumtree app (click for Apple & Android) and don’t forget to use your location settings to find earrings close to home.