The cooler winter weather is among us, but that doesn’t have to stop us from having the time of our lives, does it? Road trips are a firm favourite for family or friend mini vacations, but it is important to be prepared, especially during the winter months.
Go through this quick checklist before heading out on your next roadtrip:
- Make sure you check your tyres for proper tread to ensure they are able to manage slippery surfaces (hello, rain!). It is also important to make sure your tyres are filled with the correct air pressure and are full. It is not always easy to find petrol stations with tyre stations outside of the city.
- Brakes are often overlooked because we simply expect them to work at all times. But, imagine if something was to go wrong in the middle of a hilly road trip? The result could be catastrophic, to say the least. It is crucial that you inspect your brake pads, disc condition, and brake oil before heading out.
- We’ve mentioned your brake fluid, but there are more oils you will need to check up on before you head on your way. If you haven’t had a recent oil change, be on the safe side and top up your oil yourself at home to ensure you don’t run out along the way.
- A battery that is performing optimally will mean the difference between needing to jumpstart your vehicle after every stop, and not. Be sure to check that your battery has a full charge, and double check it’s fluid levels as well. A quick battery fluid top-up may be required.
- And last but not least, heading out during the winter months means you will need to make sure your windshield wipers are in tip-top shape, too. Having clear visibility is crucial!
Now that you’ve got the knowledge, it’s time to shop! Head to gumtree.co.za or your Gumtree app (click for Apple & Android) and don’t forget to use your location settings to find road trip essentials close to home.