With Autumn not too far down the road, many South Africans will start thinking about preparing for cooler weather, and that includes clothing and accessories! Whether a pair of suede boots is already a staple in your closet, or you have your eye on a pair in Excellent condition for sale on Gumtree, chances are you understand us when we say: how in the world do you take care of these things?!
The unique outer fabric of suede shoes makes them a little puzzling to care for, so to help you out we put together a simple guide to keep them looking new for as long as possible.
- Apply a water water-resistant spray before wearing.
- Sweep your boots on a weekly basis in one direction using a suede brush. This helps remove dirt and imperfections.
- During any off-seasons or long periods of non-wear, keep your boots in dust bags in a cool, dark area.
- If there is any water damage, gently rub a suede brush in a circular motion over the area once the water is dry to help fix discoloration.
- If you get salt stains, rub the spot in a circular motion alternating between using a slightly damp sponge and a suede brush. Be careful not to wet the sponge much at all or else you have the risk of making the discoloration worse.
- If the soles become worn down, have them professional resoled.
Now that you’ve got the knowledge, it’s time to shop! Head to gumtree.co.za or your Gumtree app (click for Apple & Android) and don’t forget to use your location settings to find the perfect pair of suede boots close to home.