Summer is right around the corner, and you know as well as we do that things get HOT here in South Africa, especially inside a car with no air conditioning.
If getting a brand-new vehicle is an option, why not consider a few of these cool upgrades to help?
- Glove compartment cooler. Who wouldn’t want to have a miniature fridge in their glove compartment to keep their drinks cool?
- Dual-zone air conditioning. A lot of new vehicles have this awesome feature allowing passengers in the front and the back of the car to choose their own temperature.
- Cooled seats. We’ve heard of heated seats for winter, but what about seats that cool down in the summer? With this option, air will be released through the small holes in the seat fabric.
- Built-in sun shades. Let’s be honest, no store-bought sunshades fit your car’s windows perfectly. A built-in sun shade, especially an automatic one, would work wonders!
- Sun roofs. Cool down by letting the hot air have an extra escape route out the top via a sunroof.
- What is our budget? Knowing this ahead of time will save you a lot of headaches. Make sure you factor in the price of petrol, and servicing costs.
If getting a brand-new vehicle is NOT an option, consider a few of these extra cool gadgets to help:
- Car fan. No, a fan cannot replace an air conditioner, but it can help when air conditioning is not an option. These nifty gadgets can be mounted on the dashboard and will help circulate the air and cool things down.
- Portable cooler. Having a chilled drink at your fingertips would be awesome, but if getting a brand-new vehicle that comes with this added feature is not in the cards, a portable cooler for the back seat will do just fine.
Now that you’ve got the knowledge, it’s time to shop! Head to gumtree.co.za or your Gumtree app (click for Apple & Android) and don’t forget to use your location settings to find cars and car accessories close to home.