Learning to drive and being independent can be an exhilarating experience for teenagers. But at the same time, it is a harrowing time for parents and guardians who are looking to keep their teens safe. This rite of passage must include safety training and guidance on how teens can safeguard themselves behind the wheel.
Gumtree offers parents and teens with the following safety tips:
- Proper training: The first step in ensuring your teen is safe in a vehicle is to enrol them in a formal driver’s education course. As parents, accompany your teen with as many practice drives to ensure they get that experience as well as feel more comfortable behind the wheel.
- Seatbelts: This is a no-brainer, but it is shocking that people still do not follow it. Parents of teens must emphasise the need to always use seatbelts however long or short the journey. Even if this is required by law, it is important to keep reminding them of the same.
- Drinking and driving: Explain to your teen that drinking and driving is not only highly dangerous but also a criminal offence. It is not just important to advise teens to not drink and drive, but also refuse to sit in vehicles with other impaired drivers.
- Health and sleep: Never let your teen drive a vehicle if they are unwell or drowsy as this can lead to them falling asleep behind the wheel. Instead offer to drive them to their destinations.
- The right car: The car you buy your teen does not have to be fancy, expensive or brand new. Even if you are buying a second-hand vehicle (which is highly recommended), ensure it is equipped with the safety features that can protect them in the event of an accident. Why not browse through Gumtree for the right car today?
Now that you’ve got the knowledge, it’s time to shop! Head to gumtree.co.za or your Gumtree app (click for Apple & Android) and don’t forget to use your location settings to find local automotive vehicle information close to home.