People living with a disability do not have to be worried about being mobile or driving their own vehicles. With the advent of technology, vehicles now are equipped with or being modified to help people with disabilities. So, what exactly is car modification? In this context, it involves optimising a vehicle to meet the needs and requirements for transportation for a person with a disability. Gumtree explains how car modification can benefit them:
- Freedom: This is key. With modifications, people with disabilities will be able to drive themselves and live life on their own terms with a vehicle of their own. Despite having alternate public transportation options such as Uber, the pride and joy of being able to drive yourself can be wonderful.
- Control: Modification on a car adds functions and devices that can provide people with disabilities with optimal control and ease of use when they drive.
So, what are some of the modifications that can be made to make driving easier for people with disabilities?
- Hand controls: For people who are unable to use the foot pedals, hand controls can be added for effortless operations.
- Steering: Available in styles such as palm grips, amputee rings, cuffs and more, these steering devices depend on the extent to which the driver can use their hands to steer.
- Seat modifications: Depends on the situation at hand, the car can be equipped with power seat attachments or vehicle transfer seats.
- Wheelchair ramps: Vehicles can be equipped with wheelchair lifts and ramps to help people enter and exit their vehicles with ease.
Now that you’ve got the knowledge, it’s time to shop! Head to gumtree.co.za or your Gumtree app (click for Apple & Android) and don’t forget to use your location settings to find local automotive vehicle information close to home.