Coming of age and getting your driver’s license is exciting and new, but there’s a huge responsibility which comes with it. It’s important to be prepared for all scenarios and one of those include: Car accident management.
If it’s you in the accident or you are a witness to one, there is some important information you will need to know. Car accidents occur and can cause huge trauma, so it’s important to educate yourself on what to do in the case of a car accident, as accidents can cause one to be shaken up and not think rationally.
Gumtree shares a car accident checklist:
- Passengers: Make sure your passengers are not injured and if they are, advise them not to move until help arrives.
- Other car involved: If your passengers are okay, check on the other car’s driver and passengers. If an ambulance or tow truck is needed, make those calls immediately.
- Exchange information: If passengers are not too badly injured, make sure to get the full details of the driver and car description.
- Document the accident: If you have a camera phone nearby, take photos and videos as proof. Do this before the cars are moved to the side of the road.
- Inform insurance company: Car damage can be costly, so make sure to send all details to your insurance company.
- Contact police: Within 24 hours of the accident, be sure to file a claim at your closest police station. Your full report will also assist with insurance claims.
Now that you’ve got the knowledge, it’s time to shop! Head to gumtree.co.za or your Gumtree app (click for Apple & Android) and don’t forget to use your location settings to find local automotive car and bakkie information close to home.