Winter has truly hit South Africa and temperatures are lowering every day. But if you are an avid camper, the winter chill is not going to deter you from your favourite activity.
Having the most comfortable camping experience is directly associated with the kind of sleeping bag you buy. It is so important you choose the right one for a good night’s sleep after a day of walking, hiking, and climbing. There is nothing worse than having an uncomfortable, cold night!
Follow these tips from Gumtree
- Choose a sleeping bag that has a lower temperature rating than the night-time temperature of your campsite.
- Choose the shape of your sleeping bag based on the space you need. The three basic shapes are: rectangular, semi-rectangular and Mummy.
- Choose the kind of insulation fill your sleeping bag should have i.e., down, or synthetic.
- Choose the bag based on the additional features it comes with including bag shells, bag hood, zippers, and stash pockets.
- Choose based on the accessories provided: stuff sack, storage sack and bag liners.
Gumtree outlines the following winter camping essentials:
- Cold weather sleeping bag and liners
- Backpack and daypack
- Handwarmers and footwarmers
- Two-way radio
- Winter tent
- Insulated sleeping pads
- Gas stove and gas
- Matches, lighters, and fire starters, wood
- Cooking and eating utensils
- Trash bags
- Insulated vacuum bottles
- Water bottles
- Insulated fleece jackets and pants
- Winter boots
- Rain jacket
- Gloves or mittens
- Extra winter clothes
Choosing the right winter camping equipment can ensure you have a safe, protected, and comfortable adventure.
Now that you’ve got the knowledge, it’s time to shop! Head to gumtree.co.za or your Gumtree app (click for Apple & Android) and don’t forget to use your location settings to find camping essentials close to home.