There are two good reasons for a big spring clean out. The first is that you make space and de-clutter your life. The second is that it can make you some serious money.
Gumtree SA’s Estelle Nagel says it’s worth posting almost any items for sale online to test the market but she says there’s a clear top ten of easy second-hand sale wins from your clear out.
- Cellphones. There are hundreds of thousands of unused cellphones lying around SA homes. Clear yours out one-time online. Good condition, recent vintage iPhones will fetch R9,000+ but there’s a market for almost every make and model. Buyers are also eager for accessories as well.
- Computers. Laptops, Macbooks and iPads are a usually a quick and profitable sell if you price them right. And, once again, those not-so-cheap accessories have value.
- Clothing. Buying pre-owned clothing is a big global trend, and it’s good for the planet. Give your throwaways a thorough clean and some tidy-up repairs before putting them up for sale.
- Home appliances. Fridges are big sellers on Gumtree but there’s a healthy trade in slow cookers, blenders and coffee machines.
- Baby items. If your children have moved on from the pram, the cot, the highchair and the car seat, there are plenty of budget-wise, new parents looking for exactly those things.
- Tools. DIY is a surprisingly robust sector online. Power tools are the best-sellers but complete toolkits and welding equipment are also in strong demand.
- Bikes. The cycling craze shows no signs of slowing down. Your spare bike will readily find a buyer online (high-end second hand mountain bikes can fetch over R20k). Bike racks are another top seller.
- Camping gear. This is a #1 clutterer. Do a solid audit of what camping gear (tents, accessories, beds, chairs and cooking kit) you actually use and sell off the rest. Tent prices start at R700 and can bring in much more if they’re a new model in good condition.
- Furniture. Chairs, tables, beds, couches, cupboards and wall units … they all will go if you price them right and allow for transport costs.
- Collections. Those piles of LPs, china, silverware, stamp books, historical artefacts or whatever you’ve been gathering down the years take up space. Maybe it’s time to Gumtree them and make a fresh start on a new obsession!