Structured team sports are not just fun and competitive, but they also offer several physical and mental benefits for adults and kids alike. They are also considered an excellent avenue to learn lifelong skills and build relationships.
Gumtree outlines the advantages of playing team sports for adults and kids:
- Team sports can boost self-confidence and self-esteem.
- Members of a team build strong and long-lasting relationships, enhancing social skills that remain for life.
- Team sports enhance critical thinking skills as each game or match is different and requires its own strategies and tactics.
- Children and adolescents who play team sports learn that life can be tough and challenging, especially if they lose due to an unfair call.
- Team sports teach adults and children to accept defeat graciously with dignity and grace. This is the foundation of sportsmanship.
- Teamwork is a skill that is essential for every phase of our lives – be it school, work or family. Team sports teach children and adults how to work together effectively to achieve common goals.
- Team sports highlight the importance of hard work and perseverance. Children from a young age must be made to understand that there are no shortcuts to success.
- Team sports can be a constructive avenue to channel emotions and frustrations.
- Playing against other teams or in tournaments teaches players to be more respectful and practice fair play. But that doesn’t mean there won’t be a little sledging on the field!
- Finally, teams sports can encourage more family time. If you have a child in soccer or rugby, chances are you go for every practice and match. This helps build stronger relationships and bonds among family members.