Over the last year and a half, DIY projects have ruled the roost in homes across the globe with adults and children participating in fun, crafty projects. Children in modern times are often glued to their screens and this process of designing and creating can be great stimulation for them instead. Gumtree outlines the benefits of introducing your children to interesting DIY projects:
- DIY projects and learning new skills can enhance brain power and mental growth. Making lists of materials or ingredients needed for the project help with the retention of information. When children start working on the project, they are encouraged to visualise the final look, enhancing their imagination and creativity. This ‘cumulative learning’ does wonders for little brains.
- Kids working on DIY projects use their strength and energy to complete all the little tasks involved, encouraging them to be more physical. Outdoor activities such as gardening and woodwork are great for cardiovascular health and breathing.
- Children participating in group DIY projects have the opportunity to meet new people and share similar interests. This can make them more confident, enhancing social skills in the long run.
- Simple skills such as sewing, woodwork and building can teach children excellent life skills including being more environmentally friendly and learning to live on a budget.
Gumtree has also developed a list of resources where parents can find DIY projects for their children:
- Arts and crafts from Good Housekeeping
- Bill Nye the Science Guy featuring easy to do experiments that will make your child love science.
- Instructables: Various activities and projects for kids and adults, alike.
Now that you’ve got the knowledge, it’s time to shop! Head to gumtree.co.za or your Gumtree app (click for Apple & Android) and don’t forget to use your location settings to find local baby and kids information close to home.