While not a conventional sport, rock climbing is a great way to challenge yourself while building full-body strength, developing puzzle-solving skills, and be body and self-aware. If rock climbing is a sport that sounds exciting to you, the first step is ensuring you have all the right equipment you’ll need to have fun and stay safe. Luckily, seasoned rock climbers update their equipment regularly, so finding second-hand goods on Gumtree at low prices should be easier than ever.
Before you get climbing, make sure you have the following:
- Harness. Before purchasing, do a check for overall quality to ensure nothing is loose or worn down. In addition, check that the leg straps are adjustable, count how many loops it has for clipping on gear, and check how breathable and padded all straps are for comfort.
- Rope System. Inspect the rope carefully to ensure there is no damage or abrasions that could make it unsafe for use. Ask the seller about its history, like how old it is, how often it was used, and if they experienced any falls.
- Climbing Shoes. Pay careful attention to sizing as you want these shoes to feel as comfortable as possible. Check the soles for wear and any visible damage, too.
- Carabiners. Simple carabiners can be found brand-new at an inexpensive price, but if you want higher quality versions at a low price, second-hand options on Gumtree are the way to go. Keep your eye out for D-shaped carabiners as they are the strongest shape.
- Helmets. Of all pieces of rock climbing equipment, a helmet is not something you should purchase second-hand to avoid purchasing one that has been in a previous fall.
Now that you’ve got the knowledge, it’s time to shop! Head to gumtree.co.za or your Gumtree app (click for Apple & Android) and don’t forget to use your location settings to find rock climbing gear close to home.