The world of consultancy can be a very rewarding one, especially if you are a huge fan of working for yourself, setting your own hours, and being able to use your skills to assist others as an expert in your chosen field.
Before you get started by creating your own consulting business, it is important to deeply evaluate where you stand in your chosen field. Your future clients will trust you whole heartedly as an expert, so it is important that they are accurate in that intuition to trust. After all, they will be paying for that expertise!
Here are eight questions to ask yourself, and answer honestly. If any of your answers make you question your expertise, there is no better time than now to step things up and get the extra schooling or training you require to get yourself there!
- What kind of consulting are you wanting to do?
- What do you believe makes you an expert in this field?
- What skills will you require to be successful as a consultant in this field? Do you possess them?
- What degrees, certifications, and job experience do you have?
- Do family, friends, past, and present clients already call you often to ask you important questions related to your field?
- Are you good at collecting unpaid invoices? Will you be able to learn to be okay with this uncomfortable task?
- How do you feel about working long hours or on weekends?
- How do you feel about being on call all day, every day?