Many advertised positions require some form of experience. But how do you get the experience in the first place, if every job wants you to already have the experience? Internships are a great way to get this work experience! The downside? Many internships are unpaid, or have very little pay. The question is: are internships really worth it, then?
Here are a few things to consider:
- If you are in need of an income straight away, an internship may not be the best bet. You might be better off looking for an entry level job that is not necessarily what you want long term. This will give you some income and stability while you take your time to look for the right job for you.
- If you have the luxury of having a savings or family assistance, an internship may be a great option for you to gain that invaluable experience you are after so that you are qualified for the well-paid position you really want.
- Most internships are unpaid, so do not be surprised if this is the case. If the position is paid, you should have the same rights as a full-time, permanent employee unless they state otherwise.
- If you do go for the unpaid internships, be aware that you may be looked at as a volunteer and be given the ‘dirty work’ a lot of the time. Look at this as an opportunity to learn! That being said, don’t be afraid to ask for the support you need for your professional development. Your time is your currency, so the company is benefiting from this and you should too, so make sure you get out what you are wanting.
- Today’s young have a lot of competition today, so having additional experience from an internship might put you above the others when it comes time to compete for the job of your dreams. Anything that differentiates you from others will be beneficial.
- You go to University for years, but nothing prepares you for the real job world than actual job experience in how businesses operate. An internship is the perfect way to get this experience.
So, are internships really worth it? That is for you to decide!
Are Internships Worth It?Now that you’ve got the knowledge, it’s time to search for your next part-time job! Head to gumtree.co.za or your Gumtree app (click for Apple & Android) and don’t forget to use your location settings to find jobs close to home.