In today’s day and age, it is extremely difficult to pry children away from addictive video games, streaming apps, television, and social media. Heck, even us adults have a hard time getting away from it all. The value of good old human interaction and imaginative play is beyond measure, so maybe it is time that we all take a little break?
Here are a few ways to implement less screen time at home with the kids on board:
- Block out a certain period of time each day where screen time is off limits. Whether that is an hour before bed, or for the first half of the day, agreeing on a time together as a family and everyone committing to it will make it much easier.
- Turn off notifications on all cellphones from all apps. Not having notifications pop up every 5 minutes will significantly reduce the amount of times you look at your phone.
- Let your child choose a new instrument they want to learn to play during off-time, and browse Gumtree for inexpensive beginner’s models.
- Get creative with a fun family DIY project, whether it be adding a vibrant fresh coat of paint to the kids’ bedrooms, or turning old jars into flower vases.
- Get out and exercise with an extra element of fun! Head out to an exciting playground and have a family picnic.
- Exercise your green thumbs and teach the kids about growing your own vegetables. Take them to pick out their own vegetables and flowers, and place a little sign with their name on it near the plants they planted.
- If the weather is less than ideal, why not create a fort? Children (and adults!) of all ages love making forts, and having the added bonus of a comfy bed inside will make it that much better.