If you are a self-proclaimed DIY mechanic, you are likely equipped with the basics, like wrenches, ratchets, sockets, screwdrivers, and a floor jack. While those tools can get you pretty far, there are 7 specialty tools that you won’t regret adding to your toolbox.
- Retriever Claw. Simply press a button and three fingers spread out from the end making it much easier to grab a tool from a far away or awkward spot when you need it most.
- Magnetic Pick-Up Tool. This has the same sort of idea as the retriever claw, but it has a strong magnet at the end to grab metal objects and tools.
- Inspection Mirror. Just like the mirror on a stick the dentist uses to see hard to reach areas, an inspection mirror will allow you to see some areas your head simply can’t get to.
- Punches & Chisels. A hardened steel punch is perfect for making holes in things where you cannot use a drill, and chisels are great for shearing something off, or removing some metal, especially if appearance isn’t super important.
- Funnel Set. Perfect for refilling all vehicular fluids cleanly.
- Long Reach Pliers. For situations where you have to hold a particular part while working on it.
- Inspection Camera. The perfect tool to see what the inside of a cylinder looks like!
Now that you’ve got the knowledge, it’s time to shop! Head to gumtree.co.za or your Gumtree app (click for Apple & Android) and don’t forget to use your location settings to find mechanic’s tools close to home.