Spring has Sprung in South Africa and nature is in full bloom. There is something quite magical about experiencing the outdoors with your little ones and seeing your garden come to life.
Whether you have a small flat balcony or large garden, there are plenty of ways to include your toddlers in the growing process and nurture a garden that the whole family can take pride in.
Gumtree outlines why gardening is great to do with toddlers:
- Relationship building: Have a break from TV and enjoy the outdoors with your children. Children love to feel needed by doing small tasks around the yard.
- Nurture: Gardening teaches children to protect and nurture living organisms. Flowers blossom and look radiant when looked after.
- Ecosystem: Children can practically understand ecosystems and photosynthesis from a young age.
- Play: Most children love messy play. Be creative and make the learning process exciting. Find hidden “treasures” in the garden and encourage their imagination to run wild.
- Vegetables: The pure joy young children have when they see the vegetables grown from seed to food on the table, making them proud to grow their own food.
- Composting: Teach your children about the importance of reducing waste, recycling and how some worms are good for the garden.
- Safety: Children need to be supervised at all times. Try to make use of eco-friendly detergents and keep an eye on children around all bodies of water.
Don’t forget that this is a fun time outside for children, so make the most of it and try not to get annoyed if they are acting silly or not doing what you think is correct.
Now that you’ve got the knowledge, it’s time to shop! Head to gumtree.co.za or your Gumtree app (click for Apple & Android) and don’t forget to use your location settings to find local baby and kids information close to home.