Whether you’re a self-proclaimed handyman or just want to cut costs by doing some manageable things around the house yourself, having the right tools on hand will be your saving grace. While we don’t all have the budget for a professional grade tool box and every tool on the market, there are a few essential items that are sure to come in handy.
- Hammer: A hammer is easily the most universally used and handy tool out there. Whether you need to add or remove nails from a piece of wood, hang art on the walls, or assemble some DIY furniture, you’ll need one of these bad boys.
- Measuring Tape: Whether you’re installing a new set of shelves or need to ensure your TV is centered on the wall, a measuring tape will make the job a million times quicker and easier.
- Screwdriver: Having a set of screwdrivers, or a universal one with removable tips is essential to any tool kit and will come in handy in a large variety of tasks.
- Level: No one likes a crooked shelf; need we say more?
- Utility Knife: Reach for your utility knife anytime you need to open a box or package rather than making your steak knives duller than a doorknob.
- Pliers: If you need to pull or pinch a small object, a plier is your friend.
- Ladder: Listen carefully, it is not safe to pile a bunch of chairs up so that you can stand on top to grab something out of reach, so don’t get any funny ideas! Be safe and opt for a sturdy, reliable ladder.