The time is quickly approaching where we will need to store away our favourite winter garments to make room for cooler, summer ones.
If you’re like us, you have multiple warm wool sweaters or coats for days with an extra chill.
While these pieces seem timeless, if we don’t care for them properly, they may not even last long enough to store them away for next year.
Here are 7 simple tips to take the best care of your wool:
- Empty pockets after every wear; this reduces bulging and sagging.
- If you come across small stains, rinse them with cold water or seltzer before blotting them dry with a clean cloth.
- If the garment is labelled for hand washing only, a helpful trick is to still use the washing machine, but to use the hand wash or wool cycle options with the coldest water it will allow.
- If the garment has excess water after a wash or has become wet by other means, do not put it in the dryer or ring it to dry. Simple roll the garment in a clean, dry towel.
- Then, lay the garment to dry on a flat surface away from direct sunlight or heat.
- To keep shape and avoid wrinkles during travel, loosely roll or fold wool garments with tissue paper.
- To freshen up a wool garment after it has been stored or not worn for a long period of time, hand it in the bathroom before you have a hot shower; the steam will do wonders!
Now that you’ve got the knowledge, it’s time to shop! Head to gumtree.co.za or your Gumtree app (click for Apple & Android) and don’t forget to use your location settings to find wool clothing close to home.