Summer is a time to enjoy the outdoors! With the global pandemic still going strong, however, we may be spending more time at home than we’d like. With that in mind, why not make your home as problem-free and summer-ready as possible? We’ve put together an easy-to-follow checklist of things you can do around the home to have your home summer-ready in only 7 days.
- Detectors: replace old batteries and ensure all smoke detectors or carbon monoxide detectors are in working order, if you have any.
- Fans: dust the tops, and then use a damp cloth to clean them.
- Air Conditioning Units: replace filters.
- Fridge: dust off all dusty fridge condenser coils to reduce your electricity bill.
- Range Hood: wipe off all accumulated dust and grease from beneath your hood and soak the filter in a citrus-based cleaner.
- Bathroom Showerheads: screw off your showerhead and soak it in a pan of vinegar overnight.
- Shower and Bath Drains: pull out the drain mechanism, clear out all the gunk you find inside with a drain stick, pour some bleach down, and rinse through with water.
- Gas Grills: heat it up for a good 30 minutes, allow to cool, and then scrub it clean with a grill brush.
- Charcoal Braais: clear out all old ash and charcoal before cleaning out the inside with a sponge dipped in hot, soapy water.
- Porches & Decks: sweep thoroughly before mopping.
- Mulch: spread some out to help keep the weeds away while also keeping the rest of your plants and trees moisturized through the hot summer days.
- Plants: remove all dead bits and give them a good watering, if you do not have an irrigation system.
- Irrigation Systems: test out your irrigation systems to ensure there are no cracks or loose bits.
- A Good Once-Over: pay attention to any other problem areas around the house like leaks, mold and mildew, excess moisture, holes, or cracks.