It really should come to no surprise to anyone that workout is one of the best ways to stay fit and healthy, along with a balanced and nutritious diet. Working out not only strengthens and builds muscle, but it does a whole lot of good for your mental health, too.
Here are the top 7 commonly-made workout mistakes to avoid.
- Skipping the warm-up. The best way to describe this is to think of your muscles as a rubber band. Without a few stretches, the rubber band would likely snap when pulled. If it is heated up, it is far more flexible and stretchy. The same goes for muscles.
- Not having a plan in place. Unfortunately, heading to the gym and wandering around aimlessly is not going to get you any results, even if you are working out in between.
- Taking your phone with you during a workout. This one may be tough for people like influencers or entrepreneurs who rely heavily on their devices, but think about it: having your phone with you is simply a distraction which will set your progress back.
- Not giving your body time to rest. Muscles need time to recover in order to keep getting stronger, so not giving your body a rest day will be detrimental to your goal.
- Being inconsistent. Results require a consistent effort in terms of time spent, but also in terms of which workouts you are doing. Hopping from one machine to the next, while still making you sore, will not give you the results you are after.
- Skimping on fluids and protein. Muscles require protein in order to grow, and not providing your body with enough hydration can severely impact your performance.
- Not getting enough sleep at night. Our bodies need at least 6-8 hours of sleep each night in order to function optimally.
Now that you’ve got the knowledge, it’s time to shop! Head to gumtree.co.za or your Gumtree app (click for Apple & Android) and don’t forget to use your location settings to find everything you need for the perfect workout.