One of the great parts of Gumtree’s new ‘Community’ category is the opportunity to advertise both in-person and online classes you’d like to offer to adults in your area. If you are a professional in your field and feel you have a load to offer, this can be a great way to make a difference while also bringing in some extra cash.
Here are our top 5 ways to teach adults effectively:
- Keep it relevant. Unlike in high school where you learn a load of things you may never use in real life, adult students learn best when given information they feel is relevant to their life, as well as information they know will help improve their daily lives in some way.
- Remember their backgrounds. When you’re teaching to a group of adults, they are all going to have a variety of experience. Try to group people with similar academic levels and experience so you can tailor your lessons effectively.
- Integrate emotions into your lessons. Draw on real-life experiences many adults have likely faced.
- Encourage exploration. Often adult students prefer to explore topics further on their own rather than simply being given a bunch of information. Tailor your lessons and activities to promote self-learning.
- Make assignments convenient. Adult students likely have children and/or jobs they have to tend to as well. Giving assignments that will take hours out of their days is likely not going to work for them.