Choosing the right car for you can definitely be challenging, especially if you have a family.
To make the decision a bit easier, we’ve narrowed things down to 6 simple questions to ask yourself to ensure the family vehicle you are considering is the right one for the job.
- Is it the right shape and size? Even though a sedan has 5 seats, a family of 5 may not fit comfortably in this size vehicle. Each type of vehicle, including mini vans and SUVs, have their strengths and weaknesses. Spend some time going through them all so that you can make an informed decision.
- Can it store all of our items? If you have little ones, you will need a vehicle that not only has space for car seats, but large boot space for strollers, diaper bags, and other knickknacks. Additionally, if you have children who participate in sports, you may have weekends where you need to transport the team’s bag of soccer balls, or have large hockey gear bags to lug around. In these cases, a vehicle with a small boot will just not do.
- Is it safe enough? When you have a family, safety is always the number one priority. While all vehicles are made with safety features, some more modern vehicles have better or more up-to-date features like back-up cameras, for example. Do your research to find out what is included.
- Does it drive well? Taking a vehicle for a test-drive before purchasing it is crucial. It may look great on the outside, and even on the inside, but the way it feels when you drive is the most important. If you have infant car seats or strollers, bring them along to make sure they will fit comfortable and safely.
- What features does it have? If you are a family who love to go on long road trips, a vehicle with extra hookups for electronics or one with built-in entertainment units may be something beneficial to you.
- What is our budget? Knowing this ahead of time will save you a lot of headaches. Make sure you factor in the price of petrol, and servicing costs.
Now that you’ve got the knowledge, it’s time to shop! Head to gumtree.co.za or your Gumtree app (click for Apple & Android) and don’t forget to use your location settings to find the perfect ride close to home.