If you’re anything like us, you probably think windows last forever unless broken. Or at the very least you simply fail to give them any thought at all. For home owners, making sure your windows are in the best working order is crucial, especially if you don’t want your electricity bills to skyrocket or if you plan on selling your home in the next few years.
Checking the condition of your windows from time to time is highly recommended! Here are 5 tell-tale signs that your windows are ready to be replaced.
- Your electricity bill has already skyrocketed. If you find yourself turning on the heater far more often than usual during the winter or colder months, old windows with leaks could be the culprit. If you are in an older home with windows that have not been replaced or have windows that are single-pane that lack proper insulation, your A/C or heating systems will have to work much harder, hence the additional fees!
- Your windows have visible damage or you can see moisture. A very clear sign that your windows need to be replaced is if they have cracks, or if the frames are cracked or rotting. Additionally, if you can wipe moisture off while being inside the home, if there is condensation between panes, or if you can hear the wind whistling through them, this is also a sign that the windows should be replaced as soon as possible.
- You are having trouble opening or closing your windows. If your windows do not easily open or close, it is likely due to debris build up, a spring that is too tight, or a problem with the roller system. Either way, it’s time to get new ones!
- You’re ready for a new look. If the windows of your home are negatively affecting the curb appeal, you may simply be ready for an updated look! That is as good a reason as any.
- You need some soundproofing. If you live on a busy road or have a neighbour with a noisy dog and your windows do not seem to be offering enough relief, it may be time to look into a new set.
Now that you’ve got the knowledge, it’s time to shop! Head to gumtree.co.za or your Gumtree app (click for Apple & Android) and don’t forget to use your location settings to find a window fitter close to home.