Riding a motorbike is a serious passion among riders across the world. The thrill of speed, the long-winding roads, the wind rushing past – it all adds to the adventure. However, safety is also a serious aspect of riding.
Gumtree outlines the top five safety tips you must be following before you ride:
- Take a safety course: Riding a motorbike is not child’s play. It needs skill, good judgement, and excellent reflexes. Taking a safety course that teaches you how to act in unpredictable situations, rules of the road and appropriate riding etiquette can be highly beneficial.
- Weather: Always check the weather before you ride out, especially if there is a possibility of rain, snow, or ice. These make motorbike riders highly susceptible to accidents as they have less traction than other vehicles on the road. If you see the elements of nature are unfavourable on a particular day, reschedule your ride.
- The right gear: The importance of the right riding gear cannot be undermined. These protect you from the weather, debris, or accidents. So, what does the right gear entail?
- Helmet that meets safety standards
- Leather jacket
- Leather pants or chaps
- Non-slip gloves
Gumtree also advises riders to dress in layers to account for changing weather conditions in a day.
- Inspection: Before you ride out, always conduct a thorough inspection of your motorbike to ensure every part such as headlights, brakes, tire pressure etc. are working properly to avoid any mishaps during the ride.
- First-aid kit: Your first-aid kit on a motorbike should consist of the basics in case of an injury. These include:
- Disinfecting wipes
Now that you’ve got the knowledge, it’s time to shop! Head to gumtree.co.za or your Gumtree app (click for Apple & Android) and don’t forget to use your location settings to find motorbike safety tips close to home.