Homes are most people’s greatest investment and so protecting it is high up on the priority list. You may feel like you are mastering your home maintenance, but you may be surprised to learn there are a few lesser known areas that may need your attention.
Here are our top 5:
- Refrigerator Drip Pans. If you’re like us and didn’t know that refrigerators have drip pans, you’ll want to take a look to ensure yours isn’t growing mould from lack of cleaning. Simply pull out the drip pan from underneath (be careful not to spill the excess liquid), drain the liquid into the sink, and clean it with any all-purpose cleaner.
- Grout. Unfortunately, grout is not a one and done type of thing! Grout needs to be resealed on a yearly basis to protect your tiles from wear and tear as the materials it is made out of makes it susceptible to water absorption, bacteria, and stains.
- Smoke Alarms. Testing out your fire alarms and changing their batteries twice a year is vital for the safety of everyone in your home.
- Pests. Caulk small holes or cracks to prevent against pests from creeping in.
- Geyser. Check that your geyser is below 120 degrees F to prevent scalding, and test its safety relief valve once a year to ensure it runs smoothly.