Keeping our homes clean is a high priority (when we have the energy, right?!) but what if we don’t want all the chemicals that store-bought cleaners are made with? Yes, you can purchase more eco-friendly, organic versions, but at what price? Luckily for you, we’ve put together a list of 5 household cleaners you can whip up at home:
- Grass Stain Cleaner: Let your grass stained clothing sit in a mixture of 2 tablespoons of hydrogen peroxide, 1 tablespoon of dish soap and hot water for about ten minutes. Once finished, scrub the stains with a toothbrush and voila! Bye, bye stains.
- Bathtub Cleaner: Cut a grapefruit in half, sprinkle a generous amount of coarse salt over it, and scrub the areas of your bathtub and shower that need a little TLC. If you have some areas that are a little extra grimy, try juicing some of the grapefruit on the area first and let it sit before you scrub.
- Toilet Cleaner: For a quick fix before guests come over, throw a cup of vinegar in the toilet and let it sit for ten minutes before flushing.
- Glass Cleaner: A green alternative to store-bought windolene is to combine 2 cups water, 1’2 cup vinegar, ¼ cup rubbing alcohol and 2 drops of citrus oil. Mix it all together and put it into a spray bottle to wipe those windows clean.
- Laundry Softener: Mix your favourite scented essential oil with water in a spray bottle and spray onto your laundry before you put it in the wash.