Whether you’re a photography beginner or are wanting to improve the quality of your photographs in order to go professional, these 5 simple tips could help take your photos to the next level.
- Don’t go crazy on expensive equipment; rather, look for a quality digital camera that is light, compact, and comes with some additional features that will help the quality of your photographs, like exterior flashes, or extended range.
- Improve composition by following the rule of thirds when taking photographs by placing the focal point slightly off to the side, rather than right in the middle.
- Avoid blur due to camera shake (inability to hold the camera still) by holding the camera with both hands and close to your body, or by using a tripod to get the clearest, still images possible, especially in lower lighting.
- In some cases, auto mode can work out the correct aperture, ISO, and shutter speed for you, but they are worth learning about for those instances where personalized tweaks are needed. The shutter speed is what is used to capture motion, the ISO is the warmth of the colours in your image, and the aperture is what dictates the clarity. Switch on manual mode or aperture/shutter priority and play around with the different options to find the perfect look for you.
- Avoid using the flash when shooting indoors in low lighting; this results in a harsh and unnatural appearance to your image. Instead, try increasing your ISO and to use the widest aperture possible to allow lighter to flood in. Don’t forget to use a tripod here in order to keep the clarity!