Looking to invest in a new SUV or truck? Well, then there’s a big decision ahead: do you want to buy a 4×2 or a 4×4 drivetrain configuration? It is important to first understand that the drivetrain of a vehicle is the mechanical system through which the engine is connected to the wheel. Thus, both these drivetrain configurations, 4×2 and 4×4, have their advantages with different effects on vehicle performance.
The main difference between the two is that in a 4×4 vehicle, all four wheels are given torque and are actively ‘driven’ by the engine whereas in a 4×2, only two wheels are provided torque. Gumtree helps you understand the difference between the two:
Pros of 4×2 drivetrain
- 4×2 SUVs are more affordable than 4x4s and also cost less to maintain.
- These SUVs are also more fuel efficient, saving big bucks in the long run.
- Drivers consider 4×2 SUVs easier to drive due to their weight balance.
Cons of 4×2 drivetrain
- The 4×2 SUVs can get stuck or bogged down in mud or sand.
- The two inactive wheels may not have enough power to maintain balance and control on slippery roads.
Pros of a 4×4 drivetrain
- These vehicles have excellent stability and traction, giving them superior performance in adverse weather conditions.
- 4×4 SUVs are the preferred vehicles for off roading across terrains.
- These vehicles have a higher resale value.
Cons of a 4×4 drivetrain
- The 4×4 SUVs are more expensive due to their higher production costs.
- Insurance costs are also higher for 4×4 SUVs.
- Reports suggest that drivers operate these SUVs in a more dangerous manner, which can lead to accidents.