What many may not know is that you don’t need a professional mechanic for everything car related! Here is a list of funky ways to keep your car safe, clean, fuel efficient, and in full working order.
- Check the tread of your tyres using a R10 coin. Your tread should be no less than 1.6mm.
- If you ever find yourself in such a cold environment that your windshield ices up, de-ice it using vinegar in a spray bottle.
- Never forget which side your petrol tank is on by looking for the small arrow beside the gas sign on your dash.
- Use toothpaste to clean foggy looking headlight caps.
- Use your rubber car mats to help you get out your tyres out of a muddy situation.
- If you find a small crack in your windshield, use clear nail polish to seal it before it gets bigger and requires a replacement.
- Clean your air vents using a foam paint brush.
- Shine up your leather interior using olive oil and a soft cloth.
- Always know where your spare tyre is. It is usually located either beneath your car or in your boot!
- Use a plunger to remove small dents.
- Cover small scratches in your paint by finding a matching nail polish colour.
- Refresh your windshield wipers by cleaning them with alcohol and a soft cloth.
- If your children love slime, it could come in handy here! Use it to pick up dust and lint.
- Get rid of nasty odours by spreading baking soda on your fabric seats or car mats and vacuuming it back up.
- Use a coffee filter to dust your interior.
- Hold your key fob to the bottom of your chin to increase its range when looking for your vehicle in a crowded parking lot.
Now that you’ve got the knowledge, it’s time to shop! Head to gumtree.co.za or your Gumtree app (click for Apple & Android) and don’t forget to use your location settings to find a new-to-you car close to home.