While not everyone has the time and disposable income to create an incredibly fancy back garden, most of us still have the desire to have our own little oasis at home. Luckily, we’ve found 13 amazingly simple ideas to create a beautiful, inviting outdoor space you’ll be proud of at a fraction of the price using items you can find on Gumtree. And just in time for summer, too!
- Build patio furniture out of pallet wood
- Build a fire pit using bricks, concrete slabs, and paving stones
- Decorate plant pots by spraying primer onto clean, dry pots and using acrylic or outdoor paint to give them a fresh new look
- Recycle old plastic drink bottles by turning them into a vertical succulent garden
- Paint your fence or perimeter wall to give it a new lease on life
- Add affordable lighting like fairy lights and small lanterns you can hang from trees and across your yard
- Use old teacups and tea pots as small succulent pots and display them on side tables
- Create a gravel path to add some flare and break up the monotony of a rectangular grass back yard
- Add borders to your garden area to separate it from the grass by taking cheap wood and turning it into miniature fences or by using small stones
- Plant bright and inexpensive flowers to your garden to add some colour to the space
- Recycle old metal cans by painting them and turning them into hanging planters
- Create a ladder plant stand by giving a makeover to an old wooden ladder, and adding wooden plants in between to function as shelving
- Purchase a few small accessories like outdoor throw cushions, an outdoor rug, and thin blankets to keep your guests warm
Now that you’ve got the knowledge, it’s time to shop! Head to gumtree.co.za or your Gumtree app (click for Apple & Android) and don’t forget to use your location settings to find everything you need for a back garden upgrade close to home.