No one wants to have to purchase a brand-new bathing suit every single year. So, we’ve put together a list of advice to ensure you get the most wear and performance out of your favourite costumes.
- Wash your costume after every single use. Even if you don’t go into any water, sun tan lotions contain chemicals that can break down the fabrics of your costumes.
- Don’t wash your costume in the washing machine. For best results, wash your costume by hand.
- Don’t use just any old detergent. Find one designed specifically for delicates or for clothing items with spandex material.
- If you cannot find the right detergent, some white vinegar should do the trick.
- When hand-washing your costume, fill your sink with cold water and one cap full of detergent or white vinegar. Let it soak for 30 minutes before rinsing with cool water.
- Once clean, do not ring it out to remove excess water. Gently roll your costume inside a dry towel while lightly pressing to remove said excess water. Once finished, lay it flat to dry.
- Don’t soak your costume overnight; this can break down the fibres.
- Don’t let your costume dry directly in the sun; this causes fading.
- Don’t put your costume in the dryer; this weakens the elasticity of the spandex and will cause it to lose shape.
- Don’t sit on any rough surfaces while wearing your costume; this will cause pulling in the fibres resulting in fabric snags.
If all else fails, there is always Gumtree! Head to gumtree.co.za or your Gumtree app (click for Apple & Android) and don’t forget to use your location settings to find the perfect costume close to home.