While everyone has their own unique style, there are a few general, best-practice fashion tips that work for everyone. Not everyone has loads of disposable income to spend on new clothes every month, so knowing the basics can help you come up with new and exciting looks with a wardrobe you already have. If all else fails, there is always Gumtree, jam packed with amazing fashion deals!
- Accessorize a neutral wardrobe with bright coloured earrings, necklaces, or bags.
- Hem your pants if they are too long. The rule of thumb is to have all pant hems fall just to the top of your shoes and about a ½ inch from the ground.
- Add a cool edge to evening wear by saying goodbye to handheld clothes and rather opting for a small shoulder bag.
- Be in-the-know when it comes to stretch. The best recipe for the perfect t-shirt is 95% cotton, and 5% Lycra. For jeans that hold their shape? Find ones with at least 2% Lycra.
- When in doubt of what accessories to add to a dull outfit, pop on a fashion scarf.
- Be willing to take the right care of your items depending on the fabric they are made from before you purchase any fancy or embellished pieces.
- Embrace your shape and get to know what silhouettes work best for it. Say goodbye to all styles known to work against your body type rather than for.
- Make a list of your 10 favourite pieces in your current wardrobe and carry it with you in your purse at all times. When shopping, this list should help you find new pieces that will work with your existing wardrobe, or remind you that you never actually wear stripes.
- Round down in size for denim if you are unsure. Denim ALWAYS stretches at least a bit, and there is nothing worse than finding the perfect pair or skinny jeans and having them become baggy after an hour of wear.
- Donate everything you haven’t worn in the past year, and give your wardrobe some breathing room in your closet!
Now that you’ve got the knowledge, it’s time to shop! Head to gumtree.co.za or your Gumtree app (click for Apple & Android) and don’t forget to use your location settings to find the perfect outfit close to home.