Service industries are those that produce value in intangible forms. For example, a business that offers value to customers in the form of advice, knowledge, design, data, or via experience would be a service-based industry.
While there are an infinite number of service industry types (well, not technically but you get where we’re going here!), we’ve put together a short list of some popular ones to give you a better idea:
- Information technology | Rather than selling a physical electronic product, information tech companies offer a software service.
- Hospitality | Any service that hosts guests like a restaurant, hotel, or spa.
- Travel | Any business that offers transport services like flights, bus rides, or tours.
- Media | Businesses that offer design, advertising, or marketing services like a blog, a TV network, or a radio station.
- Entertainment | A business that offers entertainment to customers like theme parks, movie theatres, and comedy houses.
- Sports | Businesses like gym facilities, and stadiums offering in-person spectator sports.
- Healthcare | Businesses that care for others like clinics, hospitals, and physiotherapy.
- Finance | Businesses like banks, and personal accounting services.
- Sales & Marketing | Businesses that offer things like event promotion, or real estate services.
- Management | Businesses that offer property management, facility management, or outsourced people management.
Now that you’ve got the knowledge, it’s time to start your new service-based business! Head to gumtree.co.za or your Gumtree app (click for Apple & Android) to advertise it when you’re up and running.